Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University was actually formed on the basis of Tbilisi State University.

In 1918 under the direction of the great son of the Georgian nation Ivane Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University was founded.In July, 1930 the government abolished the Tbilisi State University and on its basis four independent higher education institutions were created. One of them was State Pedagogical Institute, which starting from that period to 1933 was functioning in Tbilisi.

Under the resolution of January 8, 1933, the Tbilisi State University was restored. And the mentioned Pedagogical Institute moved to Kutaisi and continued functioning here from February 13 the same year. In 1933-1990 it existed under the name � Aleksandre Tsulukidze State Pedagogical Institute. The institute was accommodated in the city center, in the building were before a Real College was functioning. On the first academic year (1933) up to 700 students who had moved from Tbilisi to our town were studying in their first and second years at the Pedagogical Institute founded in Kutaisi. Following them their professors came to work to Kutaisi. In different years the following people worked and delivered lectures at the university: Giorgi Akhvlediani (1887-1973), Aleksandre Baramidze (1902-1994), Kote Bakradze (1898-1970), Ivane Beritashvili (1884-1974), Niko Berdzenishvili (1894-1965), Angia Bochorishvili (1902-1982), Levan Gokieli (1901-1975), Varlam Topuria (1900-1966), Ivane Kacharava (1894-1977), Korneli Kekelidze (1879-1962), Niko Ketskhoveli (1897-1982), Mate Mirianashvili (1906�1975), Shalva Nutsubidze (1888-1969), Mikheil Sabashvili (1900-1979), Dimitri Uznadze (1886-1950), Aleksandre Prangishvili (1907-1989), Simon Kaukhchishvili (1895-1981), Akaki Shanidze (1887-1987), Vasil Chantladze (1904-1995), Arnold Chikobava (1898-1985) etc.

In 1990 the higher education institution was transformed to Kutaisi Akaki Tsereteli State University, which was the logical conclusion of the great accomplishments done successfully by this institution during almost six decades of its existence.

The Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechnic Institute was officially given the status on September 23, 1973 and the opening ceremony was held on September 1, 1974.

 

The establishment of the new institute in Kutaisi was preceded by many years of preparatory period. In 1946 study and consulting point of Georgian Polytechnic Institute was opened in Kutaisi, which in 1953 was transformed to evening and correspondence learning faculty. In 1968 the internal department was added and the institute became Kutaisi Faculty of the Georgian Polytechnic Institute.

In 1974 on the basis of the Kutaisi Faculty a Polytechnic Institute was opened, which was granted the name of the academician Niko Muskhelishvili in 1977. 

The priority majors of the higher education institution are considered: Light, Textile and Food Industry Engineering. The first departments opened were: Philosophy, Higher Mathematics, Graphics Engineering and Drawing Geometry, Physics and Applied Technical Mechanics.� Gradually the number of the departments increased and Electric Technology and Textile Industry, Food Technology and Economics Departments were added. The learning and material-technical basis and light industry laboratories were expanded and improved. The transportation, engineering mechanics and electric technology faculties were opened.

On September 21, 1992 Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili Polytechical Institute was granted the status of the university and was named Kutaisi Niko Muskhelishvili State Technical University.

As a result of preparation of employees, high level of scientific potential and the relationships with the scientific centers of highly developed countries the university gained the conventional recognition. The history of Akaki Tsereteli State University started seven decades ago and now it is the university distinguished with its traditions throughout Georgia and which holds an honorable place in the business of cultural, intellectual and moral education of Georgian nation. According to the Georgian government�s resolution #39 as of February 23, 2006 the legal entities of public law Kutiasi Akaki Tsereteli State University and Kutaisi N. Muskhelishvili State Technical University were united into one,� the educational status being determined to be the university and was named Akaki Tsereteli State University.

Ilia State University is the first university in Georgia to introduce principles of liberal education. An established form for North American elite universities, it provides the students with opportunity to take considered decisions while choosing their future profession.

Tbilisi State Medical University�was solemnly opened on 8th of February, 1918 (old style 26th of January), the day of remembrance of the Georgian King David the Builder. Since that, this day remains one of the most significant events in the history of the nation.

The founders of the Georgian University well understand the importance of introduction Higher Medical Education. The primary initiator of the university foundation, the reverend Professor Ivane Javakhishvili, had been speaking about the reasons of establishment of Medical Faculty �We still need to carry out research on the endemic flora and fauna in our country. Many human diseases have various characters and most are as yet unstudied. Consequently, scientific workers at our University�s Medical and Natural Sciences Faculties have a broad challenge area�.

 

The first Rector of University Professor Petre Melikishvili was an active supporter of medical faculty creation. On the meeting of �Georgian Physicians and Natural Sciences Society� (12th of October, 1917), he has expressed his opinion about the necessity of opening the medical and natural sciences faculty. 

 

On February 27th, 1918, University Professors Faculty Council confirmed the exigency of creation of Medical Faculty. In June 17th, the same Council of Georgian doctors and Natural Scientists in the presence of the Chairman Spiridon Virsaladze decided to open Mathematics-Natural Sciences and Medical faculty. 

 

In June 10, 1930 the Tbilisi State University was reorganized and Tbilisi State Medical University was founded. This has become a powerful stimulus of development Higher Medical Education and Medical Sciences in Georgia. 

 

Tbilisi State Medical University at the foundation consisted of three faculties: Medical- Preventive (including Division of Stomatology), Sanitary- Preventive and Pharmacochemistry. 

 

During the 80 years long history of the University in different periods of time were founded and functioning the following faculties: Paediatrics (since 1931), Stomatology (since 1936), Military Medicine (since 1993), Medical-Biology (since1994), Psychosomatic medicine and Psychotherapy (since1996).

 

To date Tbilisi State Medical University has five faculties: Medicine, Stomatology, Pharmacy, Public health, Physical medicine and rehabilitation. Tbilisi State Medical University runs four Higher Education Programs: General Practice Nurse, Midwifery, Medical Devices Technician, and Pharmacy Technician. 

 

The analysis of objective, sometimes revolutionary, political and ideological changes in the country and Society that took place in the decades of the 90�s of the last century, revealed that for the achievement of University goals the establishment of larger space is necessary. The newly acquired autonomy would have been merged with new University structure that was the way for transformation of Medical Institute into University and for that the preconditions were already existed. The Author of this objective and well founded request was Tbilisi State Medical University itself. 

 

24th of November 1992 is the historic day for Higher Medical Education in Georgia. The new stage was launched by the transformation of Tbilisi State Medical Institute into Tbilisi State Medical University. 

 

Tbilisi State Medical University from the very beginning found itself in the forefront of overcoming the XXI century challenges of reforming medical education. In 1997 University has already developed a strategy of outcome-oriented teaching methodology implementation. The strategy has been developed on the bases of European experts recommendations. After all, University is a member of the Association of Medical European Education (AMEE), also a member of the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and cofounder of the. East �European Association of Medical Education (EEAME). University is not only the executor of legislative and recommendatory regulations of these International Organizations, but also participated in the recommendations systematization process. 

 

According to above mentioned experts modern, competitive International Medical education considers the following main points: Critical thinking, Information management and Comunicative skills. These are the basis for development of basic sciences and public health, professional values and relations. 

 

By 2006, the necessity of implementation already existing Law on Higher Education of Georgia on the one hand, and the need of implementation full coverage of European and global advantages of medical education together with international commitments to reform the system of medical education on the other hand, have put the medical community to face the objective challenges. 

 

The health care system with the old regulatory and financial mechanisms was poorly manageable. Accordingly, the traditional forms of training of qualified medical professionals required innovative changes. A three-stage system of higher education (baccalaureate, magistracy and doctorate) called for coordination with the process of post-graduate education. All this would make it possible to implement harmoniously the �life-long learning principles�, although it�s clear that the creation of such a continuum requires appropriate material and human resources. 

 

All the aforesaid have caused a very significant step in Georgia's system of higher medical education - in 2006 Tbilisi State Medical Academy was integrated into Tbilisi State Medical University. The merging of these traditional medical schools in TSMU as one Medical Institution united also undergraduate and postgraduate medical education facilitated multilateral development of traditional medical and entire natural sciences. 

 

By 2007, the faculty of Therapeutic Physical Training and Rehabilitation of the State Academy of Physical Culture and Sport joined TSMU.

 

To this highly significant union was supplemented by competition for engagement in academic positions conducted in 2006 and 2007. As a result of the last competition there are 371 academic personnel: full professors, associate professors and assistant professors in TSMU. Besides them, 350 invited teachers are involved in academic process. 

 

Tbilisi State Medical University collaborates with more than 40 Universities and centres; international scientific cooperation instigated to launch of numerous joint projects of International or National significance. 

 

Nowadays TSMU has employed the highly intelligent, highly qualified pedagogical personnel and scientists. The University traditions, experience, reputation/authority and potential gives hope for its further successful development.

Create by Open-Node

Search